Tuesday 5 January 2016

Sub Task - DVD Cover Plan


Here I have designed the DVD cover for my TV drama aimed at children, I have also analysed it to see what conventions I have followed and to explain my ideas .
Masthead/ Logo
I feel that the masthead I have included on my DVD cover is eye catching and easy for my target audience to read and recognise. I have kept the masthead simple yet effective as the DVD cover is already very busy and I don’t want to clutter it with a big bold logo from my programme. I have broken typical media conventions associated with mastheads at the top of DVD and magazine covers as I have placed it at the bottom of the cover. I decided to place the masthead at the bottom of the cover so that the main focus is on the images above this is because my target audience is young children and they tend to be drawn in more by photos rather than text, so when on the shop shelves the images are the first thing they’ll see. Finally the simple serif font highlights the historic time travelling theme to the young audience.
Target Audience
I feel that this DVD cover I have designed is clearly aimed at a younger audience, this is because of the large  images on the front to catch their attention and appeal to them . The Childish theme is carried throughout the cover as it uses large images of the characters in different time periods to show the audience what the TV programme is about. It is also clear that this DVD cover appeals to a younger target market as it contains little text when explaining episodes and instead uses corresponding mages that give the children a snapshot of the episode ahead.
Layout
The Layout used for this DVD cover follows typical media conventions for DVDs because , this magazine includes a clear masthead so that it is easy to see on the shop shelves. The DVD cover also follows conventions as it uses a photograph of the main characters which clearly highlights their personalities and the plot of the programme . This is effective as it makes the cover look appealing to its audience and gives them an insight into what is in the DVD series is about. All the episodes are listed on the back for them to see easily.
Typeface
The simple sans serif font I will be using makes the writing easy and clear for the young target audience to read. By making the font clear and easy to read allows the young audience to become independent in reading by themselves, this then allows them to become interested in the DVD and is easy for them to understand.
DVD Conventions

This DVD cover follows many media conventions that are typically seen on other DVD covers covers on shop shelves. This DVD has a clear barcode and a suitable age rating so that the audience can know what age the programme is appropriate for. On the back it also lists all the episodes the DVD includes which is a typical convention so that the viewer can clearly see what episodes the DVD includes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment