Tuesday 1 December 2015

Costume Research - TV Title Sequence

As my TV title sequence is based around the idea of British history, the importance of the clothing worn by the characters is crucial as it will highlight to the audience what period of time they are in. Therefore all research into costume needs to be historically accurate; many of the costumes I will be using will be iconic and easy for the young audience to recognise. I will have a male and female to model each costume so that the TV drama appeals to all audiences and so that the children can see what both males and females would have worn. I will be using the following to Mood boards to inspire my final costume choices, also along with my previous research and inspiration board I will be able to provide my characters with the correct costumes.

The Victorians

For the Victorian era I will dress the young girl character in a black dress with a white apron and bonnet, this is because this is what a poor Victorian child would of typically worn and I would like the characters costumes to be as historically accurate as possible.  For the young boy character I will dress him in an off white shirt with a small black waist coat. Both characters will look dirty and run down in this scene to highlight to the audience the conditions they lived in.

1920's America
For the 1920's era I will dress my female character in a traditional 1920s flapper dress. These dresses are well known and are iconic to 1920's fashion. Accessories will include a matching feather headpiece and feather boa. The male character will be wearing a smart suit with a black and white hat, this look was also very typical of the 1920s as mens striped suits were also an iconic 1920's look. For the 1920s scene I will be taking costume inspiration from the film 'Bugsy Malone', this chiders film was set in 1920's America and is well known for its costume design. 

World War Two
For the world War Two scene the children will be evacuees, the young  female  character will be dressed in typical 1940's children clothing that consists of dresses that are either flowery patterned or plain. Accessories will include a small hat or maybe a simple hair band depending on the hairstyle. The young male character will wear a white shirt and a v-neck jumper with a simple pattern. He will also wear simple black trousers and accessories may include a simple flat cap. Both characters will wear plain black brogues for shoes as these simple shoes were typically worn at the time. 


The 1950's
For the Disco scene set in the 1950's I have taken inspiration for my characters costumes from the famous film 'Grease'. The young girl character will wear the typical big skirt with a belt and neck tie, the skirt will either be plain with the typical Poodle printed on it or, it will be polka dot patterned. accessories may include pointed glasses depending on the hair style and make up I decide on. The young male character will wear a typical leather jacket with jeans and a plain white polo t-shirt, similar to what the male characters wore in the film 'Grease', accessories may include black sunglasses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment